[Dancer-users] detailed logs, not

Maurice Mengel mauricemengel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:33:44 CET 2011

I am new to deployment. Today i did dancer via plack on apache for the
first time on my server,so I don't really understand this.

With environment, I mean
  environments/production.yaml
  environments/development.yaml

I think by default development has log settings.

Maybe that helps a little.

maurice

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maurice Mengel wrote:
>>
>> two vague ideas
>>
>> are you sure you are not overwriting those logging settings in the
>> environment file?
>>

> What is the "environment file"? As far as I know, I don't have any.
>
>> And, I just found helpful error messages in error_log created by my
>> apache. In other words, maybe there is a deployment specific error log
>> somewhere in your setup (even if you are using a different deployment
>> method).
>
> Well, as I mentioned in my email, there are a few errors that do show up in
> the app-error_log generated by Apache. However, I can't figure out any
> pattern to which errors show up there and which don't. I guess it has to do
> with what traps the error.
>
> For example, the last error in my app-error_log is from last night
>
>        [Mon Jan 03 22:08:14 2011] [error]...
>
> I had made a typo, and it was caught at compile time. I am assuming the run
> time errors are getting lost in the ether. I have had lots of errors since
> last night (for example, the aforementioned wrong permission on a directory
> I was trying to write into). None of those show up anywhere... not in the
> Apache log, not in occasional errors returned in Firebug, and not in
> development.log.
>

>> best
>> maurice
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Puneet Kishor<punk.kish at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This is befuddling. My config files has the following incantation
>>>
>>> config.yml
>>> ---------------------
>>> logger      : "file"
>>>
>>> development.yml
>>> ---------------------
>>> log         : "debug"
>>> warnings    : 1
>>> show_errors : 1
>>>

>>> Yet, no detailed warnings or errors are shown anywhere. If I add a
>>> specific
>>> debug statement, then that shows up in the "development.log." A few
>>> warnings
>>> do show up from time to time in the Apache log. I can't place a pattern
>>> on
>>> it -- some kinds of errors show up in the Apache log, some, at times, are
>>> returned in the http response and are visible in Firebug, and some don't
>>> show up at all.
>>>
>>> For example, I had the following simple
>>>
>>>        open my $fh, ">", $file or die "$file: $!\n";
>>>
>>> There was a permission problem, and the `open` command was die-ing, but
>>> the
>>> error was not visible anywhere. I changed the line to
>>>
>>>        open my $fh, ">", $file or debug "$file: $!\n";
>>>
>>> and I got the error "permission denied" in my development.log.
>>>
>>> The above is a simple instance. I am actually using PDL (Perl Data
>>> Language)
>>> for munging through large datasets to display in the web application.