[Dancer-users] detailed logs, not

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:48:57 CET 2011

This is befuddling. My config files has the following incantation

config.yml
---------------------
logger      : "file"

development.yml
---------------------
log         : "debug"
warnings    : 1
show_errors : 1

Yet, no detailed warnings or errors are shown anywhere. If I add a
specific debug statement, then that shows up in the "development.log." A
few warnings do show up from time to time in the Apache log. I can't
place a pattern on it -- some kinds of errors show up in the Apache log,
some, at times, are returned in the http response and are visible in
Firebug, and some don't show up at all.

For example, I had the following simple

	open my $fh, ">", $file or die "$file: $!\n";

There was a permission problem, and the `open` command was die-ing, but
the error was not visible anywhere. I changed the line to

	open my $fh, ">", $file or debug "$file: $!\n";

and I got the error "permission denied" in my development.log.

The above is a simple instance. I am actually using PDL (Perl Data
Language) for munging through large datasets to display in the web
application. None of my PDL errors are showing up in any log. The only
alternative for me is to very tediously insert the `debug` command in
different places until I determine what command is breaking.

Any suggestions on how I could get detailed warnings and errors
consistently in one place?

--
Puneet Kishor http://punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org