[Dancer-users] Conditional HTTP proposal

Alexis Sukrieh sukria at sukria.net
Sat Feb 12 13:01:29 CET 2011

Hi Flavio, Oleg,

On 12/02/2011 10:00, Flavio Poletti wrote:
> I have probably drifted on the unconstructive side of the discussion,
> anyway: although I might agree with you with the patch, I think that the
> core Dancer development group and its "Architect" deserve the right to
> say no, especially if they have a reason that is inspired to the
> principles that steer their development.

I'd like to underline some remarks regarding this discussion:

* I'm not opposed to provide a simple way for supporting a Last-Modified
header

* Although, the core of Dancer should be kept as minimal as possible, we
try very hard to resist the temptation to add stuff in it; because this
is the only way we can provide a mature and stable project eventually.

* More code in the core means more potential bugs, more backward
compatibility issues and more time needed by the core-team for
maintaining the projet (and refactoring becomes harder when you have
more code to care about).

Given these reasons, I'd vote for a plugin (let's say
Dancer::Plugin::LastModified) which would be shipped with the core
distribution. Just like Dancer::Plugin::Ajax is.

Being shipped with the core distribution doesn't mean being core. Do you
see what I mean?

By isolating these extra code lines in a plugin we protect ourselves for
future issues regarding that part of the code.

My concerns are mainly maintenance ones, I've nerver doubted the benefit
of having this feature (altough a Plack middleware exists and we should
keep it very simple).

So, do we have an agreement?

--
Alexis Sukrieh