[Dancer-users] Plugin for authentication/authorization?

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 17:06:47 CET 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:27:07 +0100
Flavio Poletti <polettix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi SawyerX,
>
>    first of all forgive me if I spelled your nickname badly :-)
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dancer::Plugin::Authorize was the first written, by Al.
> >
> > It was later renamed to Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC to give space to
> > other authorization implementations other than what Al wrote, which
> > was kind of him to do so.
> >
> > Al stopped maintaining both modules, so Franck and I cleaned them
> > up a bit and released again. Dancer::Plugin::Authorize is now
> > "deprecated" in favor of the newer name Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> > and Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC was released with some cleanups,
> > mainly done by Franck.
>
> This makes sense now. It would (will) be great to add a bit of history
> in the documentation.
>

> > There are a bunch of changes I would like to see in D::P::A::RBAC,
> > mainly removing specific DBs for DBI or Dancer::Plugin::Database,
> > cleaning up much of the code, removing a lot of boilerplate and
> > duplicity.
>
> Which is kinda what I did last night. IMHO, there should only be a
> "*::Credentials::DBI", keeping (and deprecating) the engine-specific
> modules only for backwards compatibility.

I would agree - I started working towards this in the
PerlDancer/Dancer-Plugin-Auth-RBAC repo on GitHub under the branch
feature/refactor - in particular:

https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer-Plugin-Auth-RBAC/commit/b76f951a855

Unfortunately, I ran out of available tuits, and didn't manage to make
further progress on it.

I'd be happy to collaborate, as it would be a very useful plugin if it
were whipped into a better shape!

> > If you would like to:
> > A. take over Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> > B. rewrite it from scratch using the same name
> > C. rewrite it from scratch using a different name
> > D. write something new altogether under the same name
> > E. write something new altogether under a different name
> >
> > you're more than invited, and I'll happily grant you all the
> > permissions you need.
>
> Well, I don't know if rewrites are actually needed or useful (breaking
> compatibility). My original thought was to find the module project on
> Github and propose some pulls, anyway I'm willing to take it over and
> set up (update?) the project on Github.

I'm fairly sure that PerlDancer/Dancer-Plugin-Auth-RBAC is the
appropriate repo:

https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer-Plugin-Auth-RBAC

Assuming it is, I've added you to the "rbac" team, which should grant
you commit access to it :)

--
David Precious ("bigpresh") <davidp at preshweb.co.uk>
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/     www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter