[Dancer-users] a couple of questions re. Plugins

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:48:26 CET 2011

I had asked if a Dancer plugin could be placed in some other location besides Dancer::Plugin:: to which, sawyer replied with...

On Nov 15, 2011, at 2:19 PM, sawyer x wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> bump... anyone, any thoughts?
>>

> My only thoughts (which I actually came up with a few times) are: "Why?"
>
> Why would you want to put stuff in some directory without installing it? We
> have local::lib, we have carton, we're past installation problems. We have
> some good solutions for that.

fair question, so I should explain why I asked the above question in the first place. My question stems really from my own lack of experience with creating Perl modules that may potentially be used by others. Here is my workflow...

I got an idea for a Dancer::Plugin::Meta (DPM) based on Dancer::Plugin::SiteMap (DPS). DPS is installed in /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.1/Dancer/Plugin ("lib") so I went into "lib", made a copy of DPS, renamed it DPM, and hacked it to do what I wanted.

Of course, continuing to refine DPM while under "lib" is a pain in the ass because I have `sudo` every time, and, besides, I don't want to break my existing apps while I further experiment with DPM. So, I made a copy of DPM in my own home directory. To share it with the rest of the world, I also made that home directory version into a git repo, and put it on github.

So, now I have

	/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.1/Dancer/Plugin/Meta.pm which is currently powering my apps
	~/Projects/Dancer/Plugin/Meta.pm which is a git repo and where I continue to hack it

I am not knowledgable about the workflow whereby I can make experimental changes to ~/Projects/Dancer/Plugin/Meta.pm and test it in the development versions of my apps, and when I am satisfied with the changes, update my site_perl version with the new version (Of course, pushing the changes to github is easy).

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

--
Puneet Kishor