[Dancer-users] RPC and Exception Handling

Tim King timk at jtimothyking.com
Tue Aug 2 05:41:16 CEST 2011

Hi, all.

We're developing an XML-RPC web service using Dancer, and I thought one
of you might be able to give us some pointers.

We thought that developing an XML-RPC serializer would be the right
approach. The serializer would decode the XML-RPC request and encode the
XML-RPC response. However, we ran into a couple problems:

1. An RPC request contains a method name, as well as the method
parameters. On deserialization, the RPC serializer would have to rewrite
the request object, modifying the request path as specified by RPC
method contained in the request body. However, the Dancer serializer API
only allows the serializer to set request parameters, but not other
fields of the request. The only way the serializer can modify the
request path is to do so as a side-effect, via Dancer::SharedData, which
strikes me as poor design.

2. Certain error conditions in the serializer and in the request handler
need to be able to generate an RPC fault message. In particular, we'd
like to be able to throw exceptions and have them caught by the
infrastructure, which would then convert them to appropriate RPC fault
messages. But Dancer doesn't seem to have any way to catch exceptions
thrown from handlers or to insert app-specific code into the Dancer call
graph. We can't even subclass Dancer::Route, for example, and extend it,
because Dancer provides no way to inject our app-specific classes into
Dancer's framework. (We were particularly disappointed at this discovery.)

So the approach we're working on now is to use an RPC plugin. This
plugin decodes the RPC request, creates a new request object for the RPC
method, then calls Dancer::Handler->handle_request() to route it to the
correct handler. Then it encodes the response back into the
corresponding RPC response format. The plugin code will also catch
exceptions that the handlers throw, converting them as appropriate into
RPC faults.

Comments? Do you think we're on the right track?

Thanks,
-TimK