[Dancer-users] Dancer 1.2000, finally out

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:58:27 CET 2010

Hi Puneet,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congratulations once again, and tremendous thanks for a program that has
> brought a smile and a hop-step back in the stride of Perl developers
> everywhere.

Thank you.
As you probably know, you were a major part in this by contributing a lot of
time for finding and insisting on bugs, which helped improved Dancer
substantially - especially in the UTF8 aspect which was the biggest point of
improvement, at least in my opinion.

> how does one upgrade an existing application?

Good point. We do not (yet) have an upgrading mechanism. This means you will
need to upgrade the scripts manually. We should (and will) allow the
`dancer` application to upgrade the deployment scripts.

> I want to know where the breakage occurs so I can fix them easily.

You can go over the changes file and read what we changed (and sometimes
even why). Most changes are in core and you shouldn't be affected by them.
We also took care to "deprecate" methods. That means that if you're doing
something which is deprecated you will only get a warning. This version
tries not to break anything. The next stable version might, however,
generate some deprecation fails. The idea is to still alert users something
is deprecated. The following version would probably remove the unnecessary
(or problematic feature). At least that's the idea we have for our
deprecation policy.

The main point you should take from the previous paragraph is: 1.2000 tries
not to introduce breakage but warn you of future breakage. You should
probably report any odd breakage you experience, if you do.

>  Another thing... both applications were started as a scaffolded
> application. [...] some of the default CSS/404 pages, etc. won't get
> upgraded. I don't see any way to upgrade them other than creating an empty,
> new scaffolded app and then cherry pick and upgrade the pages.

Since the scaffolded design is just to get you started, and not to provide
you with a production template, we do not (and probably won't - though I
can't promise) work on a upgrade mechanism for it. We'll have to MD5 all the
files to assure you haven't changed everything, allow you to force upgrade
and it's possible we'll ran over someone's attempt to stay with the old
design.

It's important to have a nice layout to begin with (and that's what we
tried), but the design will probably not be upgraded as part of any
mechanism.

Of course, as with anything involving Dancer, if you step up to the plate
with ideas and ability to work on them, things might be different. :)

Sawyer.