[Dancer-users] dancer behind web proxy

Stefan Oberwahrenbrock oberwahrenbrock at gmx.de
Sun Nov 21 12:43:26 CET 2010

Hello!

Making my first moves on the "development dance floor" I stumbled over
an issue I'd like to mention: When I ran "dancer -a mywebapp" to start
my first application on a linux machine, the shell/command seemed to
freeze. Quite confused I realized after some tries, that the helper
script ("/usr/local/bin/dancer") finally finished sucessfully - but only
after round about 3 minutes of apparently doing nothing!

What happend? Using "strace" I found out, that the helper script tries
to establish an internet connection. I traced it down to the subroutine
"version_check". Obviously this subroutine checks whether the locally
installed version of "Dancer" is up to date. To achieve this, an
HTTP-request to "http://search.cpan.org/dist/Dancer/CHANGES" is made.

Basically this is a good idea, but in my case it also was the cause for
the unexpected bevahiour/delay: The linux machine I was using is located
behind a corporate web proxy - direct internet access is not possible.
That proxy was configured properly in the linux system (environment
variable "http_proxy") and on applicaton level (e. g. CPAN access).
Unfortunately the helper script does not seem to utilise proxy settings
and gets caught by some default timeout mechanisms.

 From my point of view it would be nice, if the helper script was able
to cope with proxies - at least it would be nice, if the script printed
out some message about the attempted internet access. Could be a
valuable hint for proxy-plagued novice like me ;-)

Greetings,
Stefan Oberwahrenbrock