[Dancer-users] Template vars in the layout

Robert Olson bob at rdolson.org
Sat Mar 27 23:29:25 UTC 2010

Sure - how about something like this in the layout section on the main
Dancer page:

A layout is a special view, located in the 'layouts' directory (inside
the views directory) which must have a token named `content'. That
token marks the place where to render the action view. This lets you
define a global layout for your actions. Any tokens that you defined
when you called the 'template' keyword are available in the layouts,
as well as the standard session, request, and params tokens. This
allows you to insert per-page content into the HTML boilerplate, such
as page titles, current-page tags for navigation, etc.

Perhaps the example should then look like

         <head>
		<title>[% page_title %]</title>
	</head>

         <% content %>

This layout can be used like the following:

     use Dancer;
     use Template;

     layout 'main';

     get '/' => sub {
         template 'index' => {
				page_title => "Your website homepage",
			    };

BTW I'm thoroughly enjoying a build of an app using Dancer. I'm
getting it done hugely faster than the classic cgi-per-page way I've
been doing for too many years.

--bob