[Dancer-users] deploying multiple dancer websites on localhost with mod_proxy

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:04:36 CET 2010

replying to myself, with a resolution, and a possible new problem.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
> starting a new thread, for clarity sake. Is the following possible
> with mod_proxy (I have fudged the prompts below to illustrate my
> scenario)?
>
> On my laptop, with Apache
> punkish ~/dance1$./dance1.pl
>>> Dancer server xxxxx listening on http://0.0.0.0:3000/
> == Entering the development dance floor ...
>
> punkish ~/dance2$./dance2.pl
>>> Dancer server xxxxx listening on http://0.0.0.0:3001/
> == Entering the development dance floor ...
>
> punkish ~/Documents/dance3$./dance3.pl
>>> Dancer server xxxxx listening on http://0.0.0.0:3002/
> == Entering the development dance floor ...
>
> Then, from my browser
>
> http://localhost/dance1
> http://localhost/dance2
> http://localhost/dance3

There is something weird with Apache. Seems like under certain
conditions, or for certain settings, Apache doesn't recognize changes
in conf with just a simple 'apachctl graceful'. After struggling with
this for a day and a half, I remembered something similar happening a
few months ago with mod_rewrite. The solution was to reboot the
machine. I know this sounds stupid, and has no basis in scientific
logic, but I rebooted the laptop, and bingo! mod_proxy started
working.

I do hope this helps someone else.

Now, a new problem... so, I have the following on my hard disk

~/dance/punkishdance %./punkishdance.pl
>> Dancer server 2139 listening on http://0.0.0.0:3000
== Entering the development dance floor ...

And, I have the following in my httpd.conf file

ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
	Order deny,allow
	Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /punkishdance/ http://localhost:3000/
ProxyPassReverse /punkishdance/ http://localhost:3000/

Now, when I point my browser at http://localhost/punkishdance, I get
my website, except...

the browser can't retrieve stuff under ~/dance/punkishdance/public,
for example, the browser throws a 404 for
http://localhost/punkishdance/public/css/grid.css which is at
~/dance/punkishdance/css/style.css

I can't get it directly, and of course, I can't get it included in web
page, via main.tt. How do I correct this?

Which brings me to an associated question. I have the following routes in my app

get '/:p' => sub {
    pass unless (defined params->{p});
    template 'page', { page => _page(params->{p}), name => params->{p} };
};

get '/' => sub {
    template 'page', { page => _page('Intro-Page'), name => params->{p} };
};

Why is it not possible to combine the above two into a single route
with an optional param kinda like so

get '/:p?' => sub {
    params->{p} eq 'Intro-Page' unless params->{p};

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org