[Dancer-users] [ proposal ] charset discussion

damien krotkine dkrotkine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:58:29 CET 2010

On 14 December 2010 11:20, <noc at nelcom-voip.com> wrote:

> На Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:10:40 +0100
> damien krotkine <dkrotkine at gmail.com> записано:
>

> > Sadly, I don't know how to do that without adding a new setting,
> something
> > like 'local_charset', or 'files_charset'... which would be used y
> open_file,
> > the 'charset' be left as it is now, and used only for Dancer responses.
>
> May be we can have file_io_charset option, and if it is set it will
> override the charset option, but if it don't charset will be used.
> How's that?

I like the name 'file_io_charset'. However, see this fictive example :

you are developing a Dancer App on Mac. The operating system has 'latin1' as
global charset, and your files are all in latin1. If you set the 'charset'
setting to 'UTF8', you'd want the files to continue being read as latin1,
but Dancer output UTF8. That behavior is quite nice.

So I would suggest that 'file_io_charset' defaults to nothing, so that
unless specified, we let the operating system take care of the files
charsets. But I like the 'file_io_charset' name :)

dams