[devtalk] What language?

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace mmw at greenandsecure.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 09:19:05 BST 2012

On 12/09/2012 08:30, David Precious wrote:
> Out of sheer curiosity, what languages/technologies do you all work
> with these days?
>
> I'm doing primarily back-end development with Perl, using the Dancer
> framework (www.perldancer.org) and various CPAN modules.  I really
> enjoy working in Perl.
>
> Of course, I rock up the occasional bit of HTML, CSS & JS, but I have
> front-end devs for that at work these days, which is nice.
>
> What about you lot?

Most of my work these days involves either Puppet (
http://www.puppetlabs.com/ ) or Chef ( http://www.opscode.com )
  so I'm doing a lot of work in Ruby (although not much web development
in any language these days - does that make me a traitor to the list? :P
).

I've also been spending a lot of time with Python over the last few
years but I'm moving away from PHP/HTML/CSS etc as my work becomes more
and more focused on large-scale high-availabilty platforms such as mass
web hosting and "The Cloud".

I never did get around to learning Perl properly (although I did throw
something together for a previous contract using Dancer because they
wouldn't let e use Sinatra/Ruby).

For those that are looking for a good way to build APIs, I can
recommend both Dancer (Dave would unsubscribe me if I didn't!) and
Sinatra ( http://www.sinatrarb.com/intro/ ) - most web development these
days seems to be a core set of APIs and then the various front ends
(Desktop/Mobile/scripts etc.) that connect to them via AJAX or some
other means and Sinatra/Dancer are very quick to pick up and easy to use
:)

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. If you want to see what I've really been upto over the past
however many years, checkout my GitHub Accounts:
https://github.com/proffalken
https://github.com/greenandsecure

M.
--