[devtalk] What language?

joseph joseph-harris at topmail.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 17:28:53 BST 2012

Well that petered out quickly  :-) . Apologies for the late
continuation, but the laptop which collected from this address had had
enough at the same time as a newish refurb and just as the older desktop
complained about its rheumatics. Nice to see a few more names to add to
the talk list, also returning briefly to life following David's query,
where Chris has kindly helped me again with a couple of problems as I
try to remove the rust.

Ross's position, and I'm sorry you find yourself caught by the economic
problems, will probably apply to others on and off the list. I have a
suggestion. I am still struggling to get active in, but have long been
an active monitor of publishing. There is massive growth in the number
of author-, micro-, mini-, and small publishers. These are active both
in the PoD and electronic markets. Few have much ability in coding -
less even than my humble efforts [which again I thank assembled company
for helping and supporting me in].

There are many developments, and they need technical experts and coders
to improve their positions. Some are simply feeders to Kindle, Apple and
Amazon books, and have the simple problems of content working on
varieties of readers which are reminiscent of early day browser
variations. But the potential goes into complex systems which would
enable groups of small businesses to offer sites that bypass, rather
than compete with, Amazon, B&N, W H Smith, Apple and Google. There are
small areas in coding ebooks with HTML and css2, but the new move to
platforms able to handle HTML5 and css3 for interactive works is
underway; not to mention tha Apps market, speciall for Apple.

More interesting work lies in developing the strengths online of the
small publishers. These are going to require systems that mimic the
Amazon and similar big retailers, but with much lower capacity, and
much, much less cost. Anyone able to develop a non-DRM system that
demonstrably reduces piracy of digital files also has a big market waiting.

If anyone thinks this might be worth looking into I'll answer what
questions I can and point to any sites and information I think might help.

Joseph Harris