[devtalk] who deals with spam complaints

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 09:14:03 GMT 2010

Hi Joseph,

Quoting joseph harris <joseph-harris at topmail.co.uk>:

> I am receiving a stream of spam using mail.com. I have written to
> them but they are not interested - their abuse address simply gets
> the same reply as other enquiries, which seems to be a simple answer
>  and instant post death!

That sounds about right.  We deal with somewhere in the region of 100
emails a day on our abuse queue at work and although we try and
respond where we can, if there are a large number of emails that are
linked, we will usually create a "stock answer" and send that to all
parties involved.

> The addresses are all
>
> shop_online with a number @mail.com.
>
> From the look of it the spammers have opened thousands of mail.com addresses.
>
> Since they seem to be without interest in this, is there an
> authority which can point out the stupidity of this, and get them to
>  cancel the addresses?

If you believe that there is a crime being committed, you can always
contact your local Law Enforcement Agency, however apart from that
there doesn't appear to be much else.

Kind regards,

Matt
--