[devtalk] website scripts

Violet Bliss Dietz vbd at tzconsult.com
Sun Feb 21 13:40:46 GMT 2010

Joseph,

The obvious would be to use WordPress or Movable Type Open Source.  Both are
LAMP based and should be no problem for someone like yourself to install.
Both allow pages (as distinct from a blog) to be set up in a website design
that is easily maintained by someone who is not particularly techie.  Both
have good tagging and search functions and lots of plugins for other goodies
you may want to install down the road.

Wordpress is very easy to install. MTOS is also pretty straightforward and
more secure, IMO.  Both are open source.

http://wordpress.org/

http://movabletype.org/

When you get to the Movable Type page, you have a choice of v4.34 or v.5.01.
They've done a major upgrade in 5.01, really a major paradigm shift from a
blog management system to a full-blown content management system from which
you can manage multiple websites, each with multiple blogs (as in hundreds
of blogs).   V4.34 is a little easier to grasp if you've never played with
them before.  V5.01 has a lot of potential power if you've got the time and
inclination to learn it.  You can configure the administrative panels too
with one of the plugin sets.

Not to confuse things but some of the MT development community have taken a
fork of MTOS and are working developing a new branch called Melody which
they plan to keep relatively in sync with MT but which will be more focused
on rapid acquisition and implementation of new features / API's so that a
lot of the social net stuff can be quickly integrated into a Melody install.
The SixApart folks (that create MT) get there but they're a little slower
because they test the hell of out of it before putting it out live because
they have some very large commercial customers relying on the product.  See
their showcase:  http://www.movabletype.com/showcase/

 At any rate, the first release of Melody should be available shortly.
Right now it's still in alpha.

http://openmelody.org/

Hope this helps.

Violet