[devtalk] ssi virtual - site check please

joseph harris joseph-harris at topmail.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 21:48:37 BST 2009

From: "Ross Clutterbuck"
> joseph harris wrote:
>> From: "David Precious"

>>> Ugh.
>>>
>>> Just call it with a full path from the root, e.g.
>>> src="/images/pound_page_head3.gif", and all will be well.
>>>
>>> Same goes for the SSI includes, too.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Dave P
>>>

>> That's what I started with. I've just done a test and this is the response [an error occurred while processing this directive] on both a main folder page, and a subfolder.
>>
>> the test text file has src="/images/pound_page_head3.gif"
>> the test shtml files have  <!--#include virtual="/test.txt-->
>>
>> The main folder works on src="images/pound_page_head3.gif" in the test file
>> This works on existing sub-folder pages, but now not on the test src="../images/pound_page_head3.gif"
>>
>> On the face of it there is obvious error by me... But it is all cut and paste, from working to test. And IE is doing the same as html-kit, so the fault isn't in the program. I'm going to have to leave it for now and go down the path that is working. It is a mystery which I'll solve later.
>>
>> Thanks for the help and advice.
>>
>> Joseph
>>
> Don't use ../ anywhere in any file to define a path - do every single
> one as a full path from root to debug the thing and then change any ones
> you think are unnecessary.
>
> It's a shot
>
> Ross

Thanks Ross; I'll keep that in mind. But I'll just have to go with what I've got working for the moment, even if it does mean duplication.

I think my next big activity will be to go to php, but I'm not hurrying that. I'm also expecting to set up more sites starting later next year, so that will push me ;-).

Joseph