[devtalk] ssi virtual - site check please

joseph harris joseph-harris at topmail.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 19:34:42 BST 2009

From: "David Precious"
> joseph harris wrote:
>> From: "David Precious"
>>> Why? Assuming they're all trying to call the same image, why do you need
>>> two separate files?
>
>> What I seem to face is this:
>> SSI calls text file
>> shmtl in main folder calls image in text file from sub-folder
>> shtml in sub folder calls image from sister folder.
>>
>> Using EasyPHP and testing in html-kit I could not find a common format.
>>
>> main folder text has SRC="images/pound_page_head3.gif" called by <!--#include virtual="sitepagehead.txt"-->
>>
>> subfolder text has src="../images/pound_page_head3.gif" called by <!--#include virtual="../sitepageheadotherfolders.txt"--> [text file is in main folder]
>
> Ugh.
>
> Just call it with a full path from the root, e.g.
> src="/images/pound_page_head3.gif", and all will be well.
>
> Same goes for the SSI includes, too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave P

That's what I started with. I've just done a test and this is the response [an error occurred while processing this directive] on both a main folder page, and a subfolder.

the test text file has src="/images/pound_page_head3.gif"
the test shtml files have  <!--#include virtual="/test.txt-->

The main folder works on src="images/pound_page_head3.gif" in the test file
This works on existing sub-folder pages, but now not on the test src="../images/pound_page_head3.gif"

On the face of it there is obvious error by me... But it is all cut and paste, from working to test. And IE is doing the same as html-kit, so the fault isn't in the program. I'm going to have to leave it for now and go down the path that is working. It is a mystery which I'll solve later.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Joseph