[devtalk] Straw poll - templating

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 21:10:00 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I'm working on the development of a content and document management
system and I need a bit of advice on how to structure the templating
system.

At the moment, there is a file called page.class.php and within this
class is a function that holds the xHTML for the site template.  This
is less than ideal so I'm thinking about moving to a more suitable
template format.

The question I need help with is as follows:

When creating a template for a content management system, what would
you prefer?

1) A single file that contains all the xHTML code as part of the core CMS?
2) A directory structure as show below?
3) A series of files in a single directory such as
header/body/footer.php/html?
4) A set of defined DIVs that are then positioned and styled use CSS?

The directory structure would be similar to the following:

/templates

   |_ <TEMPLATE_NAME>

          |_ images

          |_ javascript

          |_ css

          |_ index.html/php (this would contain the outline of the
page including the calls to the various content and menu classes)

Thanks all,

M.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace