[devtalk] New list bounces - suspected DNS problem

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 22:18:51 GMT 2009

Hi all,

After some investigation, I *think* I see what's going on.

The list posting address is devtalk at lists.preshweb.co.uk; however, of
the bounce messages I've been forwarded, the posts were addressed to
devtalk at lyla.preshweb.co.uk.

Now, I *think* this is a DNS configuration issue; it seems I don't have
MX records for lists.preshweb.co.uk configured, lists.preshweb.co.uk is
instead a CNAME to lyla.preshweb.co.uk (lyla being the name of the
machine actually responsible for hosting lists.preshweb.co.uk).

Now, this seems sensible to me, and seems to work for me when I send
from my own mail account or from Google Mail, and also works for some of
you.

However, for others, it seems as though your client is seeing that
lists.preshweb.co.uk is a CNAME to lyla.preshweb.co.uk, and silently
re-addressing the mail to devtalk at lyla.preshweb.co.uk instead of
devtalk at lists.preshweb.co.uk.

This behaviour seems wrong and retarded to me, but seems the only
explanation I can find (except if you were actually addressing your
messages to devtalk at lyla.preshweb.co.uk; however, checking the mails I
sent out, the list info page, the list welcome email etc, I don't see
that address listed *anywhere*, so it seems unlikely...

I'll investigate a bit further and see if I'm correct; if I am, I'll
have to change lists.preshweb.co.uk from a CNAME to a straightforward A
record, then create MX records too (DNS specs state that if a hostname
is a CNAME, no other records for that hostname should exist).

I hate DNS :)

Cheers

Dave P