[devtalk] table line deletions and diskspace

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 14:14:49 BST 2009

On 04/01/2009 01:22 PM, joseph-harris wrote:
> Okay, nothing else seems to get anyone's blood flowing,
> let's see if this is interesting enough.
>
> I have spent hours deleting lines from the _text table in
> the spammed wiki. In the end I batch cancelled but observed
> that I had most certainly removed lines with over 100MB of
> space. It seems that the diskspace used has not changed
> [after consultations with the host]!

The rows may have been marked as deleted but not yet reclaimed; running
"OPTMIZE TABLE tablename" might prompt MySQL to do some shuffling and
free the space perhaps.

Also, if the text is stored in that table, I'd expect you would see it.

You could perhaps provide the table schema (the result of 'DESCRIBE
TABLE tablename') and maybe a bit of sample data for us to see?

I'm not familiar with the workings of MediaWiki itself, but I would have
thought it would provide the facility to delete pages/revisions etc?

Cheers

Dave P