[dancer-users] [Off Topic] Flask v Dancer

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Apr 25 12:20:12 BST 2019

Hi Zahir,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 09:26:00 +0000
Zahir Lalani <ZahirLalani at oliver.agency> wrote:

> Not a direct Dancer question but more a comment
>
> I am having to look for a python framework (the client does not feel perl has
> longevity!) and based on Dancer2's experience I have been looking for
> something similar and found Flask. Django seems to prescriptive and big.
> However, you only realise how damn good Dancer really is when you see how
> much there isn't in flask, despite it being one of the leading python
> frameworks.
>
> Wish I could dance my way out of this.....

I see. :|. In order to learn Python better I translated this Perl/CGI program -
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomi-fish-homepage/blob/master/t2/humour/fortunes/old-perl-show--cgi--pl.txt
to bottle.py ( https://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/ ) and I chose it instead of Flask
because it seemed easier to deploy on my web hosting. I don't know whether it
is better than Flask, but it was adequate for my needs, and you may find it
better as well.

Here is the source of the result:

https://github.com/shlomif/shlomi-fish-homepage/blob/master/t2/humour/fortunes/show.cgi

( MIT licensed. )

Note that I have only really scratched the surface with micro web frameworks.