[dancer-users] Dancer2::Plugin::SendAs

Russell Jenkins russell.jenkins at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Oct 27 12:35:36 GMT 2015

Fellow Dancers,

At the Dancer conference in Vienna last week, Dancer2::Plugin::SendAs
was developed
and released. This plugin makes it easy to return either serialized
content or HTML
from a route. Here's the synopsis:

   use Dancer2;
   use Dancer2::Plugin::SendAs;

   set serializer => 'YAML';
   set template => 'template_toolkit';

   # returns HTML content, though YAML serializer is configured
   get '/html' => sub {
       send_as html => template 'foo';
   };

   # returns JSON content, even with YAML serializer configured
   get '/json/**' => sub {
       send_as json => splat;  # JSON, not YAML!
   };

Sawyer and I briefly discussed if this should be core functionality
during the conference.
We decided to release it as a plugin and review moving it to core if
other Dancers find
this functionality useful.

Grab it from CPAN and give it a workout [1]. If send_as solves an issue
for your apps or
makes your code simpler, let us know (responding here if fine). If there
is enough [2]
feedback that this is generally useful, we'll make it core functionality.

Happy dancing!
   Russell.

[1] I'm doing some post-conference travel, so haven't used it in anger
myself yet.
[2] Don't ask me to quantify "enough" ;)