[dancer-users] Plugin globals, and sharing database connections between plugins

Andrew Beverley andy at andybev.com
Wed Feb 18 07:35:54 GMT 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 07:26 +0100, Henk van Oers wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> >
> > There has been discussion over the last few weeks about the plugin
> > architecture having problems, in terms of using one plugin's functions
> > inside another's.
>
> It works in D1, not in D2.

Okay, I've probably muddied the waters here. I'm trying to think of this
from the point of view of the end result. For me, that's reusing a
database connection in different plugins. I don't actually need to use
one plugin inside another (although it might be useful for other
scenarios).

> > One area that this is particularly problematic is using a database
> > plugin in another plugin, for example in an authentication module.
> >
> > For the latter scenario (but probably not the former), I thought it
> > might be useful if a plugin could register global data, that could be
> > accessed by other plugins. This patch does exactly that:
> >
> > https://github.com/ctrlo/Dancer2/commit/9383ade1e46691106e835cd9155976fa5247b541
> >
> > I'd like to ask for comments from the floor ;-)
>
> This does not work for me. I do not want a global bdi.

The advantage of this is that you can reuse the same database connection
handle. From what I can tell, reusing one plugin inside another would
still open another database connection. Not a major issue, but it seems
cleaner to use an existing one.

> I compose sites using partial apps using unrelated shemas.
> Yes, I have a DPAE provider using DBIC.
> But other partial-apps do not know this, use there own shema.
>
> "global data" sounds like config.yml
> I would like a Dancer::Unified::Config
> used by D1 and D2, to keep it DRY.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but do you mean that you want to share
configuration options between different apps?