[dancer-users] Calling all plugin authors and plugin users

Sawyer X xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 09:53:16 GMT 2015

Hi everyone and merry $whatever_you_celebrate!

Yesterday I finished the last patches to our new plugin system
branch[1], supporting the old plugin syntax while working with the new
one.

There are two exceptions, mentioned in the original PR[2]:

* You cannot call `use Dancer2` in the plugin. We currently do not
detect this. We might be able to add this check.

* You cannot import specific keywords from a plugin. We might be able
to support it in the future, but it isn't supported at the moment. We
do detect this and croak() if we see it happen, so you know what to
do.

Other than that, the old syntax seems to work.

I want to ask all plugin authors to test their plugins. All users are
also asked to report any issues. We would like to release a tentative
trial version this weekend and, if all goes well, push this to
production soon after.

The plan is to then deprecate the old plugin syntax. We haven't
decided yet what the timeline should be (a month, six months, two releases,
six releases, etc.) but we will openly discuss this and are interested
in all suggestions and comments.

I have opened a ticket[3] to track all plugins we work with and
the changes they might require (if they fall on one of the first two
cases indicated above). We would appreciate any and all help!

I will try and write a utility that automatically checks plugin code
for the aforementioned problems.

Please let us know if and how we can help you help us help you help
all of us. :)

Sawyer.

[1] https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2/tree/plugins-yanick
[2] https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2/pull/1010