[dancer-users] Migrating CGI.pm-based code to Dancer2

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Mon Aug 31 21:24:55 BST 2015

On Aug 31, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Amelia Ireland <aireland at lbl.gov> wrote:

> 1) The old code is written in a "print as you go" form.

When I ran into the same situation in my code base, I handled it like this:

   my $html = “SOme stuff…”;
   $html .= “More stuff…”;
   …repeat until done :) …
   return $html;

The tricky bit comes in translating things like this:

    print “Some “, $rather, “ complicated “, code();

You either end up replacing all the commas with dots or:

    $html .= sprintf “Some “, …etc.

> 2) I'm converting the PSGI env into a CGI object using CGI::PSGI; apart from HTTP headers, is there anything else I need to take care of?

I wouldn’t keep trying to hold onto CGI.  Dancer’s always-on route-based processing method is quite different from CGI’s model.

Trying to program Dancer in a CGI-like fashion might make some things a bit quicker to translate, but I think you’ll eat that savings up in areas that don’t map easily, and in difficulty of understanding the final version as it keeps jumping between the CGI and Dancer abstractions.