[dancer-users] Deploying a Dancer app with perlbrew under Apache

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue May 6 12:08:57 BST 2014

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 11:02:25PM +0200, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> On 05/02/2014 06:50 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 May 2014, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> >> CGI is old and should die though. Even if you are stuck with it, FastCGI is a more viable and faster way to run CGI scripts.
> > CGI is old, but it should not die! It's still useful in a few limited cases, such as very low RAM and/or rarely-run web apps.
> It should die. Period. For the few limited cases, find a PSGI solution. Maybe inetd?
> And these cases are very few IMHO.

I think it's reasonable to say that CGI is always wrong if your
application can justify using a framework as big and heavy as Dancer,
but there are plenty of cases where the extreme simplicity of CGI makes
it a clear winner.  That simplicity is why CPANdeps, for example, uses
CGI. Things like Dancer and mod_perl would just get in the way.

Another good reason to write CGI-based code is if you've already got an
application that uses it and works just fine. Provided that you can add
functionality using CGI while still keeping the application
maintainable, then it's better to do that than to port to something
fancier.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    Deck of Cards: $1.29.
    "101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
    Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
        -- Shane Lazarus