[dancer-users] UTF-8 in form POST

WK wanradt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 19:24:12 BST 2014

> I think Dancer::Logger::Console should do that when config.yml contains
> charset: "UTF-8".

I agree.

> My test case boiled things down too far.  My real issue was different. It
> was yet another case of me thinking Perl somehow tags strings with their
> source encoding, so that data coming from a UTF-8 source and going out to a
> UTF-8 sink wouldn't need translation.  I needed to add an explicit
> encode('utf-8', $s) wrapper to that code path.

I have had lot problems with UTF-8. I think, main point which made things
simpler for me:

Perl uses internally _unicode_ strings. So everything coming in or going
out needs decoding or encoding. Without explicitly doing so, all strings
are treated as being ASCII/Latin1 encoded.

For me main problem is: in core is nothing to turn every input/output
automatically convert from/to utf-8. Every user has to write pretty boring
boilerplate to cover all possibilities. I use utf8::all for this, but some
are criticizing it.

--
Wbr,
Kõike hääd,