[dancer-users] Form validation framework

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:14:53 BST 2014

From: "Warren Young" <warren at etr-usa.com>

> On 4/14/2014 13:39, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>>
>> 3. Javascript is not active on browser.
>
> Okay, granted.  That's not allowed in my Dancer app, since there are
> plenty of other things that require JS, but I concede the point.
>
> Is that really a big slice of your user base, though?
>
> You might be chasing an 0.0001% slice.  If only 1% of your app's users
> have disabled JS in their browser, and those savvy 1% have error rates
> of only 1%, and of that fraction only 1% are so UI sensitive that they
> will go use some other web app rather than deal with errors tossed into
> a common <div> rather than be bound to the UI controls that caused them,
> then you're spending too much time keeping too few users.
>
> In my experience[*], that last term goes nearly to 0%, since disabling
> JS breaks so much UI on the web that they're already self-selecting into
> a group that doesn't care about UI details.

That's not the point. The validation should be always done server-side because it is the only way of assuring that the accepted data is valid.
And if this server-side validation should be always done, it is better to use a form processor that can also display the error messages without effort.

Client-side validation can be helpful, to avoid a form submit and page re-display, but it is optional.
For HTML::FormFu there is the module HTML::FormFu::ExtJS that might help creating client-side validation based on the server-side validation settings.
I said "might help" because I have never used it.

Octavian