[dancer-users] Set interface language via URL path

Yanick Champoux yanick at babyl.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 5 17:39:08 BST 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:19:37PM +0100, Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm being asked to write a webapp for a site that will have three versions
> for, one for each language.
>
> The current idea is to use http://site.tld/en/, http://site.tld/de/ and
> http://site.tld/fr/.
>
> I'll need to think this over on how to do this with Dancer2, but I want to
> reuse as much as possible of the routes between the three sites.
>
> Does anybody did this before and can share a strategy? My current best
> solution for this would be to had a hook as soon as possible and remove the
> first level path if it matches one of the languages we support and set a
> var for it.
>
> Any other suggestions?

In the same vein:

use Dancer2;

get '/*/**' => sub {
    var lang => (splat)[0];
    pass;
};

prefix '/*';

my %greeting = (
    en => 'howdie',
    fr => 'bonjour',
    de => 'hallo',
);

get '/welcome' => sub {
    return $greeting{ var 'lang' };
};

Another idea (and I'm just thinking out loud, so take all
here with a grain of salt) could be to have a nginx or apache
 reverse proxy taking in the urls /de/*, /fr/*, /en/*, rewrite
them as the prefix-less '*', and pass the language as an
environment variable.

In the same vein, you could have en.site.tld, fr.site.tld, etc.

HTHAWB, (Hope That Helps A Wee Bit),
`/anick