[Dancer-users] Managing "sessions" for each open browser window

Assaf Gordon gordon at cshl.edu
Thu Sep 27 17:15:48 CEST 2012

Hello (again),

A slightly more technical question regarding session management:

Assaf Gordon wrote, On 09/24/2012 01:48 PM:

> I want to maintain a "session" (i.e. collection of server-side variables) for each open browser window (not browser "session" in the technical sense).
>
> [...]
>
> This seems reasonably easy to implement, but how do I connect the CGI session variable to some sort of Dancer's "session" keyword?
> I'm thinking of some "before" hook mechanism, but not sure how to go about it...

The session engine and abstraction are only for the server side (session storage, as YAML / memory/ db / etc.).

I want to change the client-side mechanism (i.e. not to use a cookie, but a CGI variable).

1. Can I override "Dancer::Session::Abstract::write_session_id()" (even though the comment above says "Methods below this this line should not be overloaded" :) ) ?
or is there a better way ?

2. Does Dancer2 offer a cleaner method, and should I use it for a website that should be ready in 3 months?

Thanks,
 -gordon