[Dancer-users] recommended way to return large dynamic data?

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:10:54 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Assaf Gordon <gordon at cshl.edu> wrote:

> Several people suggested "send_file" (on and off the mailing list),
> but from what I gathered, "send_file" requires either a physical file
> (which I don't have),
> or a scalar-ref containing the entire buffer to be sent (which I don't
> have).
>
> I couldn't find a working example of using "send_file" while dynamically
> generating the output.

True. This is not really supported well in Dancer. The stream support was
added for streaming an actual file. The fact that we can fake files from
in-memory scalars is just an added benefit. :)

I intend to fully support streaming upload and download in Dancer 2.

> Also, I'm using apache as a front-end, and I'm not sure about the
> "streaming" capabilities of the apache/psgi/plack/dancer stack in this
> situation - would it work ?

I'm not sure. I know that almost no servers (including Apache) support
non-buffered file uploads, for example, so even if Dancer supports it (and
it will), the servers will buffer it completely for you. I'm not sure how
it is on downloads though.

Having pure streamed download support might just be a feature strong enough
for you to move to Dancer 2.