[Dancer-users] Dancer logging stringifies some data

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:02:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Flavio Poletti <polettix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been trying to write a test case for this, but have so far failed.
>
> Which made me wonder whether the problem is being approached from the
> wrong side. To make a long story short, I think that there should be a
> bug filed to the JSON serializer. But I won't spare you the long story
> :-)
>
> When I tried to see what the whole thing is about, I wrote this:
>
>    use Devel::Peek 'Dump';
>
>    my $price = 100.55;
>
>    Dump($price);
>    print "$price\n";
>    Dump($price);

That was actually very easy to do. But that's not what I wanted to do.

What I tried to do was to get any functionality in the Dancer::Logger to do
it. I tried the abstract, and the console (which explicitly prints), but
none of them were able to turn the NV to PV in my code. In fact, they had
not changed it at all. The returned the same exact results.

> So it's not a matter of getting a NV turned into a PV, but of getting
> a NV turned into a NVPV whose NOK flag is still on - i.e. the contents
> is still "number".
>
> If this "evolution" can be obtained even through a single, simple
> print, it seems to me that Dancer logging has actually nothing to do
> with it and should not care. On the other hand, I think that the JSON
> serializer should try better to guess how to cope with these
> variables, going for the "number" when the contents are actually
> numbers (i.e. testing the IOK and NOK flags before going for the
> string).
>
> Of course this might be a big mistake from my side... my assumption is
> that what's actually happening is that a [IN]V is being turned into a
> PV[IN]V, which might not be the case reported by Ovid. Sorry for the
> noise in this case!

As usual, you out-researched us all. :)