[Dancer-users] "sensitive" config data in SCM

Brian E. Lozier brian at massassi.com
Fri Sep 9 01:40:00 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 6:10 PM, David Precious wrote:

> stuff
> >>>

> >> Well, that is not a good option, because that way other users who clone
> the
> >> repo don't get everything to make the project work. They will need to
> >> perform a separate step to recreate production.yml.
> >
> > Well, they're presumably going to have to set up a database, then put the
> > appropriate connection details into the config file, no?
> >

> indeed, but the config file may be fairly complex (containing not just the
> db -- the sensitive -- params but also various other params). Giving the
> entire YMLs, for both environments, would be a complete repo.

I've done it like this in the past... ship a file called
production.yml-default which contains all the keys and dummy values for the
sensitive stuff.  As part of the instructions they rename it to remove the
-default part of the filename.  They fill out their stuff.  There's
svn:ignore it git:ignore that ignores the "real" .yml file so you don't have
to worry about it getting checked in.