[Dancer-users] Dancer2 - feature change request

Flavio Poletti polettix at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 07:41:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Brian E. Lozier wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Flavio Poletti <polettix at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Namespace pollution is - for good or bad - what Dancer is about;
> otherwise,
> >> there would be no DSL. I like the idea of having one-off functions for
> >> logging as for anything else, even if I like Log::Log4perl and I usually
> >> avoid Dancer's internal debugging. IMHO your proposal should go on the
> >> Plugin side (e.g. Dancer::Plugin::Log::Log4perl)
> >>

> > Everyone keeps talking about "DSL" -- what is that?  Last time I used DSL
> it
> > was for getting internet access through the phone company.  (and don't
> use
> > google to search for "define dsl" at work, you don't want to see the
> urban
> > dictionary result)
> >

> Domain Specific Language. Besides, that I am with you... have no idea what
> that means.

The whole "get/post/template/whatever" stuff that Dancer provide form a
language that is specific to creating web applications, i.e. specific to the
particular "domain" we're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-specific_language can be more
insightful:

"In software development <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development>
 and domain engineering <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_engineering>,
a *domain-specific language* (*DSL*) is a programming
language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>
 or specification
language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specification_language>dedicated
to a particular problem domain, a particular problem representation
technique, and/or a particular solution technique."