[Dancer-users] User-friendly errors on YAML parsing failures (was: Re: dancer croaking with a strange error in config.yml)

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:46:01 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM, damien krotkine <dkrotkine at gmail.com>wrote:

> try to parse the config file. If it fails, try to parse the error
> message sent by YAML, and extract the line / column from the message.
> It's usually reported accurately. Then 2 cases : if Carp::Verbose is
> false (general case), perform a croak (not a confess), with a human
> message saying " failed to parse config file '$filename', at line 42,
> column 12. Take extra care to spaces and tabs, blabla".
> If Carp::Verbose is true, then do a confess instead, appending the
> full YAML message.

Disagree. We shouldn't be trying to parse error messages of other modules.
You cannot be sure it will be consistent between versions or between
engines or between modules.

We should be outputting a "Reading your configuration file failed. This was
the error message: $msg\n"
Something like that, no more.