[Dancer-users] config.yml YAML tabs vs spaces

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:36:02 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
<racke at linuxia.de>wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 04:53 PM, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
>

>> See http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/**spec.html#space/indentation/<http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html#space/indentation/>
>>

> Phew, that is a lot of stuff for micro web framework supposed to be
> really easy ...

That isn't really fair to say, Stefan.

Configuration (as with many things that sound simple) is annoying and
difficult. Each configuration format has it's major downsides and it's
definitely not up to us to come up with something special. In fact, if we
tried to introduce a new format it would probably make more of a mess.

What we can do is try to take a format that is reasonably easy to read,
easy to edit (JSON and XML are out), easy to understand multi-levels (that
throws INI and Apache-style out the window) and has a good module support
so we don't have to implement a new parser.

Dancer *is* really easy, and we tried to choose the easiest configuration
format we could. I think we made a good decision. I'm sorry that format has
downsides, but it doesn't mean we messed up, because any format will have
some major downside.

I believe that in Dancer 2.0 we could abstract this away and you could have
various engines for configuration reading. Still, this is a *very* small
point to hold on to in the great scheme of things. I believe there are much
better things to put our efforts (and patience) in.

Have a great day,
S.