[Dancer-users] Dancer deployment bugs with Plack::Handler::Apache2

Alexis Sukrieh sukria at sukria.net
Sat Nov 12 15:43:26 CET 2011

2011/10/19 Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Assaf Gordon <gordon at cshl.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've deployed two Dancer applications on one apache server using "Plack::Handler::Apache2" (one is the "SimpleCrud" test page mentioned yesterday), and I'm experiencing very strange bugs:
>>
>> It seems the two applications are conflicting, when routes or templates from one application are used by the other.
>
> Known side-effect of the good design decisions Dancer1 took :). You
> can search the Mailing list, this was discussed before.

Exactly.

> The recommendation is to start each app with plackup using your
> favorite server (I recommend Starman for this) and then use your
> apache (or nginx if you can) as a frontend server for both apps using
> reverse proxy (HTTP based, no fastcgi).

Yes, that's a good workaround for this deisgn issue in Dancer 1.

> Current Dancer uses a lot of global variables and if you don't take
> enormous care to switch the global configuration/status, those
> problems will show up.
>
> Dancer2 (alpha? beta?) is said to solve this problems, but I have no
> personal experience with it so far.

Totally. Dancer 2 solved entirely this issue thanks to a complete new
design where everything is scoped properly. By the way, Dancer 2 is
almost finished and should be able to run a lot of existing
applications. I welcome very much upgrade reports.

Regards,