[Dancer-users] Minimum version of Perl?

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:57:36 CET 2011

Hi Alex.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Alex C <calyx2011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a minimum Perl requirement for Dancer, and
> for how long it will be compatible with older versions like 5.8 /
> 5.10. I use OpenBSD and I doubt they will bundle 5.12 for some time
> with their distribution and precompiled mod_perl package. In fact, I
> am still on 5.8.8 on my dev box and no problems with Dancer so far.

My production system that runs Dancer is running 5.8 as well.

Right now we're sticking with 5.8.8 or 5.8.6 at least.
There are really no plans right now to move to 5.10 minimal dependency, not
to mention 5.12.
There's just nothing holding us back right now that makes us want or think
about upgrading.

Also, we will probably always remain enough backwards compatible for the
annoying distros (OpenBSD, RedHat, etc.) so I wouldn't worry much. If we
ever find such a need, we'll raise it on the mailing list properly for sure,
and discuss it with the community.

Have a good day! :)
Sawyer.