[Dancer-users] Dancer::Plugin::Database 1.11_01 adds automatic UTF-8 enabling - testers wanted

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 22:38:33 CET 2011

Hi all,

Firstly, I released Dancer::Plugin::Database 1.11 tonight containing
bugfixes, mainly for the new quick_select() method.

I've also a new developer version, 1.11_01, which contains code to
automatically enable UTF-8 support if the application's charset setting
is set to UTF-8 (default for newly-scaffolded apps) and the database
engine is one for which the code knows how to enable UTF-8 support (it's
database driver-dependent).  It should currently work for SQLite,
Postgres and MySQL.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone who is working with UTF-8 data in
their database could give this a try and drop me a mail to let me know
how it works for you, and whether you have any problems.

There's a new config setting in case anyone needs to disable this
behaviour - setting auto_utf8 to a false value will disable it.  I
thought long and hard about this, and I think the expected behaviour is
that it should Just Work, so having it enabled by default seems the
appropriate choice to me.

Assuming all is well, I plan to release this as 1.20 some time next
week.

So, as I said, if you're working with UTF-8 data in your database, I'd
greatly appreciate feedback on whether this new feature works well for
you.

Cheers!

Dave P

--
David Precious  ("bigpresh")
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
   it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)