[Dancer-users] mime types

Flavio Poletti polettix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:25:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Oleg A. Mamontov <oleg at mamontov.net> wrote:

> After some debugging i found that MIME::Types (used in Dancer::MIME)
> read and parse mime types from it DATA handle.
> This handle is opening by Perl during module load procedure. But subsequent
> reads occured in &MIME::Types::init (which called from constructor).

> I propose three different solutions:
>
> 1. Remove MIME::Types from Dancer::MIME completely :)
>
> 2. Explicitly call &MIME::Types::init early (before fork):
>
>   package Dancer::MIME;
>   use strict;
>   use warnings;
>   use base 'Dancer::Object::Singleton';
>   use MIME::Types;
>
>   MIME::Types->init;
>
> 3. Use MIME::Types later (in &Dancer::MIME::init):
>
>   sub init {
>     my ($class, $instance) = @_;
>     eval "use MIME::Types";
>     $instance->mime_type(MIME::Types->new(only_complete => 1));
>     $instance->aliases({});
>   }

I would dare to propose two additional potential solutions:

4. Solve the issue in MIME::Type, the author is usually very responsive and
he should be willing to accept patches

5. Investigate the possibility to use Media::Type::Simple, from the feedback
page of MIME::Type it seems that this module does the same things of
MIME::Type but with additional features.

I can try to propose a patch for MIME::Type to MARKOV (i.e. start working on
solution 4).

Cheers,

    Flavio.