[Dancer-users] Crash after upgrade to 1.3001

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:19:30 CET 2011

Thomas Maier wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Alexis Sukrieh<sukria at sukria.net>  wrote:
>> On 30/01/2011 08:02, Thomas Maier wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have this simply setup that worked well under 1.2003
>> Just for the record, it's best to report bugs on the GitHub issue tracker,
>> it's easier for us that way: http://github.com/sukria/Dancer/issues
>>
>> If you do so, tag it with "bug-devel-branch".
>>
>> Also, keep in mind that the 1.2 release series is still maintained,
>> actually, it's the stable branch, as explained
>> here:http://perldancer.org/quickstart ("About version numbers").
>>
>> So upgrading to the 1.3 series might include some bug, this is the
>> development branch, so that can happen.
> If so, maybe the CPAN is not the best place for development branch.
> In my case it's serious problem. I deploy with my application simple
> script to install list of CPAN modules (using cpanm) I'm using.
> Those who use my application doesn't even know that CPAN exists.
> It's very comfortable for me to install this way the whole environment
> on the client machines. Thus 1.3 on CPAN is a real trouble for me.
> And maybe for others as well.
> Isn't github the right place to keep the development branch?
> Sorry if I'm missing something here..

Another (reinforcing) perspective from a user -- the whole thing seems
very messy from a user-point-of-view. There is the perldancer.org web
site, there is CPAN, and there is Github. All three are ever so slightly
out of sync, and I never know where to go for what. By habit I always go
to search.cpan.org and find Dancer from there to look for docs (I never
could get my local docs to work reliably). To install, I always use
cpanm, and trust it to "do the right thing." For kicks, I go to
perldancer.org, or turn new comers to that web site.

Wish things were simpler, with one canonical web site for the rest of
the world.

>> I just wanted to underline that ;)
>>
>> Thanks for the report anyway, we'll try to track this down.
>>
>> Regards,

..

--
Puneet Kishor