[Dancer-users] Dancer plugins on the dancer web site?

Olaf Alders olaf at wundersolutions.com
Wed Feb 2 17:20:32 CET 2011

On 2011-02-02, at 10:55 AM, sawyer x wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Olaf Alders <olaf at wundersolutions.com> wrote:
>
> On 2011-02-02, at 4:57 AM, sawyer x wrote:
>
> > We could use my brand new MetaCPAN::API! :)
>
> Of course!  If you'd like a zip of a recent version of the ElasticSearch index, I can get it to you.  That way you could run your own web service locally on the plane to test it out.  You just need Java and about 256MB RAM
>
> Sure!

Great.  I'll get you something in the next day or two.

> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd stick to information in META.yml for the URL of the repository
> > and educate the plugin authors where this information is missing.
>
> I'm in the process of adding more info from the META.yml to the distribution info.  Repository URLs are next on the list, so  you should be able to run some queries to check which Dancer plugins do or don't have the URLs available in the META.yml files.  That also makes it easy to link to Github etc right from the site.
>
> Is this something that is supported in the official API?

Since this is still beta, the API is flexible, but that will be supported for sure.  I had tried just stuffing entire META.yml structures into the distribution info, but ElasticSearch doesn't know how to map it well.  The problem is (I think) that the files can differ so wildly from dist to dist.  So, I'm going to take the parts which seem to be the most important ones and make sure they appear in the distribution info.  We could still have entire META.yml files available in the API, but in some other part of the index.

But really, if you feel strongly about something, just ask me to include it or open an issue and I'll do my best to get it in there.  Pull requests are also gratefully accepted.  :)  We've got #metacpan on irc.freenode.net, so that's also a good place to make some requests.

> You could also pull in the POD if you want to display it directly on the site.  For example, the POD for Dancer::Cookbook in HTML and plain text would be:
>
> http://api.metacpan.org/pod/Dancer::Cookbook
>
> MetaCPAN::API already supports it. :)
>
> Actually, it already supports everything that is advertised in the official API!

Excellent!!!

Olaf
--
Olaf Alders
olaf at wundersolutions.com

http://www.wundersolutions.com
http://twitter.com/wundercounter

866 503 2204 (Toll free - North America)
416 944 8306 (direct)