[Dancer-users] Plugin for authentication/authorization?

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 14:08:05 CET 2011

David had already answered quite aptly, but I might be able to contribute a
word here or there. :)

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Flavio Poletti <polettix at gmail.com> wrote:

>   first of all forgive me if I spelled your nickname badly :-)

It's okay. It's actually "Sawyer <space> X".
You can just call me Sawyer, all my friends do. :)

 On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dancer::Plugin::Authorize was the first written, by Al.
> >
> > It was later renamed to Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC to give space to other
> > authorization implementations other than what Al wrote, which was kind of
> > him to do so.
> >
> > Al stopped maintaining both modules, so Franck and I cleaned them up a
> bit
> > and released again. Dancer::Plugin::Authorize is now "deprecated" in
> favor
> > of the newer name Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC and
> Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> > was released with some cleanups, mainly done by Franck.
>
> This makes sense now. It would (will) be great to add a bit of history
> in the documentation.

That's a good idea.

>  > There are a bunch of changes I would like to see in D::P::A::RBAC,
> mainly
> > removing specific DBs for DBI or Dancer::Plugin::Database, cleaning up
> much
> > of the code, removing a lot of boilerplate and duplicity.
>
> Which is kinda what I did last night. IMHO, there should only be a
> "*::Credentials::DBI", keeping (and deprecating) the engine-specific
> modules only for backwards compatibility.

That's how I see it too.

>  > If you would like to:
> > A. take over Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> > B. rewrite it from scratch using the same name
> > C. rewrite it from scratch using a different name
> > D. write something new altogether under the same name
> > E. write something new altogether under a different name
> >
> > you're more than invited, and I'll happily grant you all the permissions
> you
> > need.
>
> Well, I don't know if rewrites are actually needed or useful (breaking
> compatibility). My original thought was to find the module project on
> Github and propose some pulls, anyway I'm willing to take it over and
> set up (update?) the project on Github.

I'm happy to see David already took care of it. Good work, David, and thank
you!
David++

>  > Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll do a great job. :)
>
> Well, let's see!

Oh, I have no doubt. :)
Flavio++

All the best!