[Dancer-users] Plugin for authentication/authorization?

Flavio Poletti polettix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 13:27:07 CET 2011

Hi SawyerX,

   first of all forgive me if I spelled your nickname badly :-)

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dancer::Plugin::Authorize was the first written, by Al.
>
> It was later renamed to Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC to give space to other
> authorization implementations other than what Al wrote, which was kind of
> him to do so.
>
> Al stopped maintaining both modules, so Franck and I cleaned them up a bit
> and released again. Dancer::Plugin::Authorize is now "deprecated" in favor
> of the newer name Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC and Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> was released with some cleanups, mainly done by Franck.

This makes sense now. It would (will) be great to add a bit of history
in the documentation.

> There are a bunch of changes I would like to see in D::P::A::RBAC, mainly
> removing specific DBs for DBI or Dancer::Plugin::Database, cleaning up much
> of the code, removing a lot of boilerplate and duplicity.

Which is kinda what I did last night. IMHO, there should only be a
"*::Credentials::DBI", keeping (and deprecating) the engine-specific
modules only for backwards compatibility.

> If you would like to:
> A. take over Dancer::Plugin::Auth::RBAC
> B. rewrite it from scratch using the same name
> C. rewrite it from scratch using a different name
> D. write something new altogether under the same name
> E. write something new altogether under a different name
>
> you're more than invited, and I'll happily grant you all the permissions you
> need.

Well, I don't know if rewrites are actually needed or useful (breaking
compatibility). My original thought was to find the module project on
Github and propose some pulls, anyway I'm willing to take it over and
set up (update?) the project on Github.

> Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll do a great job. :)

Well, let's see!

Cheers,

    Flavio.