[Dancer-users] Arizona/Elevator -- Moose & MVC on top of Dancer

Michael DeHaan michael.dehaan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:44:08 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I haven't packaged these github projects for CPAN just yet but wanted
to share here.

First off, thanks very much for Dancer -- it's exactly what I wanted
from a Perl web framework.    In where I'm using it, I wanted to have
a simple model layer, and also to have a MVC
infrastructure.  Basically it adds a bit of convention around things,
but leaves Dancer to do the heavy lifting.   It's still pretty
minimal.

Compared with straight Dancer, this gets you out of maintaining routes
(since the Controller plugins generate routes), and REST and error
handling are done a little differently.  There's also some magic
around the template system I'm currently using (Mason), though I'd
like to make that more pluggable so folks aren't stuck with just that.
  The Model layer (Elevator) is totally optional but seems to fit in
well since it's
also using Moose.   Oh yeah, it's using MooseX::Declare everywhere --
which may or may not be a good thing depending on whether you like
Moose.    There are examples included in the github "examples/" dir
that explain it probably a little better than I can here.

Anyway, here they are:

https://github.com/mpdehaan/Arizona -- Arizona, the "VC" part of the MVC
https://github.com/mpdehaan/Elevator -- Elevator, the "M" part.   Does
SQL, NoSQL, and probably Neo4j soon.

You can read a bit more here:

http://michaeldehaan.net/2011/04/04/introducing-arizona-a-perl-mvc-framework/
http://michaeldehaan.net/2011/03/31/a-modern-perl-with-attitude-presenting-elevator/

Thoughts and comments welcome.   These make too many choices of the
user to be in a microframework, but maybe the ideas are interesting.
Contributions and ideas welcome.

--Michael