[Dancer-users] YAML, why?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:37:20 CEST 2010

The following experience (another email thread); using the following
in my config.yml

charset: utf-8
   engines:
     template_toolkit:
       ENCODING: utf8

I get the error

 Error while loading /Users/punkish/Sites/punkish/punkish.pl: YAML
Error: Inconsistent indentation level, referer: http://punkish.local/
[Wed Sep 22 06:22:08 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]    Code:
YAML_PARSE_ERR_INCONSISTENT_INDENTATION

Which makes me think, why even bother with YAML? This whole respect
for white space and indentation is one of the reasons that makes me
detest Python, but now I am doing this in Perl. YAML is useful if I am
doing some language agnostic data storage, but this is a tiny config
file. It would be just as well being just a perl data structure. I
would be able to have any kind of nested complexity in my config, and
would never have to worry about YAML parsing errors.

Would be nice if there were any option which would allow me to just
use pure perl to set my config values, kinda like

%CONFIG = {
'charset' => 'utf-8'
'engines' => 'template_toolkit'
..