[Dancer-users] Feature RFC: uri_for in templates

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 09:44:19 CET 2010

Hi!

We've been asked a few times about uri_for() functionality in Dancer's
templates.

Since Dancer doesn't throw context object variables in your templates, you
cannot run uri_for() there. We do have a uri_for() keyword in our main
Dancer framework but not in templates. I reckon one of the obvious reasons
we don't provide context objects is because it deludes the purpose of a
declarative, micro web framework. Also, it's not very portable since some
template engines don't support it.

Even though, following the growing myth ("if you mention it, one might exist
when you wake up tomorrow") - which (David Precious)++ has been feeding
lately, I've written this morning a one-liner that provides you with uri_for
in your templates.

I implemented it with a coderef in a way that is still not very portable.
However, I could implement it with tie which will probably make it very
portable but uses magic which is considered "unadvised".

Should I use tie to provide full portability (in HAML, Template::Tiny and
even Dancer::Template::Simple) or should I stay with a clean implementation
that will work for some?
Do you think it should this go into Dancer core or should this be reserved
for a plugin?

Core:
- It's common functionality for most frameworks.
- It would be easier for people to find and use it instead of having to
search for a plugin they don't know exists.

Plugin:
- It could support both a clean non-portable interface and an ugly portable
interface using a parameter.
- Dancer doesn't shove anything in your templates on purpose. This
functionality breaks it, so maybe it should be a plugin.
- It could be listed on Dancer::Plugins to indicate to users that it exists.

Thoughts?
Sawyer.