[Dancer-users] waltz of a typical dancer

Alexis Sukrieh sukria at sukria.net
Mon Mar 8 08:09:36 CET 2010

Le dimanche 07 mars 2010 à 13:23 -0600, P Kishor a écrit :
> - see dancer, like it.
> - download dancer, create a new dance, become amazed.
> - start converting existing app to a full-on dance.
> - suddenly be struck by a thought -- how am I going to have several
> dances on the same dance floor?

I'd go for a bunch of VirtualHosts, each of them either with a FastCGI
dispatcher, or a proxy_balancer.

> - ask on IRC, and am directed to the dance deployment manual. See that
> I require Plack.
> - fire cpan, install Plack, and get caught in a dependency circle from hell...
>   everyone and his moose is being installed. Installation fails.

This is strange, Plack does not depend on Moose at all...
http://deps.cpantesters.org/?module=Plack;perl=latest

> - back to original app.
> - time passes, learn about cpanminus, so download and install cpanm.
> - fire cpanm, install Plack, and am successful!
> - use Plack::Loader, and am dancing with apache,
>   but have to screw around with RewriteRules.
>   Also, seems slower than a pure dance.

Indeed, the CGI dispatcher is the worst solution you can think of when
it's about performance. You should at least use the FastCGI dispatcher.

>  - Want to run many dances on the same dance floor, fast, with least hassles.
> - back to deployment manual. See I can use proxypass with virtualhost.
>   but no virtualhosts on my laptop... only localhost/dir1,

You can also deploy with mod_perl, and set your app under a specific
directory.

> localhost/dir2 and so on.
> - notice fcgi, think, maybe that is faster although it still requires
> RewriteRules
> - check installation, see there is no dispatch.fcgi in the scaffolding

There is in 1.160

> - look through the source code, and create a dispatch.fcgi
> - config apache with fcgi, and get caught in a redirect loop.

Use the example shown in the deployment guide:
http://search.cpan.org/~sukria/Dancer-1.160/lib/Dancer/Deployment.pod#Running_from_Apache_via_FastCGI

This one works as expected.

> mailing list arrives... ahhh. Now, I can hope for another dance.
>
> Here's hoping that the first impression of dancer, which is complete
> delight and amazement, can continue on as the application matures, and
> the reality of hosting multiple applications on a typically shared web
> host settles in.

As long as Dancer supports PSGI/Plack, there is no reason you can't
deploy in a manner that fits your needs.

Note that de deployment guide is a work-in-progress, expect more
examples and configuration snippets in the next release.

> By the way, thanks to the creators of dancer for blowing in a breath
> of fresh air in the world of Perl web applications.

I'm glad you like it ;) Thanks.

--
Alexis Sukrieh