[Dancer-users] Private template in Dancer

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 12:06:36 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 09:18:11 Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Le 15/06/2010 09:14, igor.bujna at post.cz a écrit :
> > Now in
> > every template i can use this variables via 'private' call. It must be
> > enabled for every template via set private_template =>  '1' Or can
> > enabled or disabled separately in options 'private_template' in given
> > using template.
> >
> >   It would be good to make something similar in this framework.

> My first opinion is that using settings for private template variables
> is not a good idea. Setting should remain.... setting ;)

Agreed :)

> We also had in mind to provide a new kind of hook, called
> "before_template" which could process variables before any template is
> called.

I would definitely agree, this is a good case where using a before_template
hook would be nice, it could inject whatever params it wanted into the hashref
of params about to be passed off to the template.

FWIW, one way that may be suitable to handle this is to shove something in the
session, if you're using sessions, then the template can access that.

For instance,

session 'foo' => $foo;

Then, in the template,

[% session.foo %]

Once we have proper hook support, implementing it with a before_template hook
would probably be cleaner, though!