[Dancer-users] Dev and Release workflow ( was: Re: Invalid value for log config )

damien krotkine dkrotkine at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 15:14:52 CET 2010

On 18 December 2010 12:31, Alexis Sukrieh <sukria at sukria.net> wrote:

On the other hand, we have a very important choice to make, about how
> Dancer's developement and releases will be handled. I'm not pleased with the
> startegy we have yet, because it's not working. Yes, it is *not*.
>
> First, what we have:
>
> Dancer 1.2xxx is the current "stable" release of Dancer, and we announced
> in the first calendar article we will _provide stability support_ for it.
>
> We want to provide new features, refactoring and experimental stuff in the
> 1.3xxx series.
>
> If we choose to do that, I'm sorry to say we have no choice but creating a
> new branch to reflect changes that will have to occur in the 1.2 serie.

I think everybody agree about that. A branch is created from the master
release, to apply bug fixes and release minor versions.

> Let me take an example:
>
> Let's say someone has 1.2003 in production, they ar happy with it and want
> to make sure nothing breaks in their app. So they trusted us when we said
> 1.2xxx will remain stable (only bugfix updates).
>
> Then, we upload 1.3001 to CPAN.
>
> OK, now imagine a critical bug is found in 1.2003.

> How do we fx it in GitHub? Our master branch now reflects the 1.3001
> release. That sucks. We have to create a branch from the 1.2003 tag, maybe
> "1.2-maint" and start producing bugfix release from there.
>
> ==> My point is that we CANNOT provide stability release for 1.2 WITHOUT
> this new branch. It's just impossible.

Agreed, but again, I think there is nothing wrong about creating a new
branch from 1.2. I think it's a good thing.
I am completely happy with this model  as long as the branch is created
*from* 1.2 to apply maintenance fixes. It's different from having an other
unlimited "branch" without starting point, like "unstable-dev".

> If we solve that, we also have a situtation regarding CPAN uploads: if
> 1.3001 is uploaded on CPAN, how do I publish 1.2003 releases?

I don't think there is a